1 day left
- Full Time
Ofcom is the independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries. We regulate the TV, radio, fixed-line telecoms, mobile telecoms and postal sectors, plus the radio spectrum over which wireless devices operate.
As a Spectrum Engineer, you will support the interests of citizens / consumers in accordance with the Communications Act 2003. The post holder occupies one of the Engineering Specialist posts based at Baldock Radio Station participating in monitoring and measurement activities at and remotely from Baldock.
The work that we carry out covers all aspects of radio communication systems, from HF communications right through to Microwave and Satellite Communications. Due to the nature of our projects, we are working with cutting-edge technologies, researching how they operate and how to practically simulate their different states. The current project portfolio includes technologies such as 5G, LTE, IoT and Short Range Devices. We carry this project work out in our laboratory, as well as all around the country, carrying out field trials utilising bespoke mobile laboratories.
- Working closely with senior engineers to develop new methods to test the compatibility between different emerging wireless technologies.
- Assisting with the setting up and running of RF test projects for Ofcom, involving a wide range of radio communication technologies.
- Using test equipment to gather measurement results within the laboratory at Baldock and throughout the UK.
- The work undertaken by Ofcom's Measurement Team covers a wide range of technologies; we understand that candidates may only be familiar with one or two of these:
- A fundamental part of this role will be to research the latest technologies and measurement methods to ensure that the testing is carried out to the highest industry standards, or where standards do not exist to develop new creative solutions
- Additionally, due to Ofcom's remit, the candidate must be self-motivated to learn, either through research or training, and implement this learning on potentially any radio technology
- A point of contact for internal and external stakeholders throughout the life cycle of the projects. This will include giving verbal and written updates, preparing meeting inputs and giving presentations, often at a senior level, to ensure successful project outcomes
- Assist with other reasonable tasks as instructed by the Technical Measurements Manager
- Adhere to relevant Ofcom standards and policies and uphold the Ofcom values of Excellence, Agility, Collaboration and Empowerment.
Essential skills and experience
- Knowledge of, or a desire to learn:
- The operation of a wide range of test instrumentation hardware and software, including; Spectrum Analysers, Signal Generators, RF Receivers, Antennas and Mobile coverage measurements.
- A blend of technical and practical radio engineering skills in a test environment
- Radio Frequency (RF) engineering theory including propagation knowledge and interference mechanisms and an aptitude for problem solving and creative thinking
- The ability to develop or follow a test procedure and undertake measurements to a high quality
- Experience of working in a technical laboratory and/or RF field measurements
- The ability to prioritise own workload to deliver high quality results in a timely manner
- Technical report writing and communication skills, with the ability to produce succinct, logical drafts of documents, within a quality management system
- The ability to convey results and conclusions of the technical work to a range of technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A valid driving licence
- The ability to travel extensively and work anywhere in the UK on occasions
- Knowledge of a broad range of existing and emerging technologies would be an advantage including:
- Mobile systems, e.g. LTE, UMTS
- Licence Exempt technologies such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Fixed links
- Experience of working with anechoic chambers and open area test sites
- Experience of working to ISO 17025:2005
- Software knowledge: LabView, MatLab, Excel and C/Java
- Project management experience, including the ability to identify constraints or risks to the project/programme and escalate in a timely manner to the appropriate level
Please note, the closing date for applications is 13th July 2017.
To apply for the role of Spectrum Engineer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Spectrum Engineer, RF, Signal, Mobile, RF Engineer, Radio Frequency Engineer, Test Engineer, Senior RF Technician, Radio Spectrum Engineer, Engineer, Engineering.